Community service is a priority at Marquette Catholic. Throughout the year we offer multiple service opportunities, such as Make-a-Difference Day, Relay for Life, blood drive, school concession stands, Hospice Run as well as private citizens calling, where students have an opportunity to partake in community building service projects. Service is highly promoted through Theology classes. These service experiences help students achieve feelings of pride, satisfaction, and achievement which we hope will encourage them to continue to help others even after their years at Marquette. Below are some of the community service requirements for the 7th through 12th graders.
- 6-8 grades: 10 hours per semester (5 must be completed by the end of the first quarter of each semester.) There will be 25 possible points every quarter (5pts.per hour). Up to 15 extra credit points will be awarded for extra hours per quarter. Hours will be rolled over 1st to 2nd quarter and 3rd to 4th quarter. No extra credit given if all hours are rollover for 2nd and 4th quarters.
- You must complete at least two separate acts of service per quarter; in other words, you can’t just turn in one slip with a massive amount of hours and have it all count towards your needed quarter total.
- Freshmen/Sophomores: 12 hours per semester; 4 hours for parish, 4 hours for school, 4 hours for community. Points will be given at the end of the semester. There will be 60 points at semester with up to 20 extra credit points for extra hours. There will be no rollover between semesters.
- Juniors: 15 hours per semester; 5 hours for parish, 5 hours for school, 5 hours for community. Points will be given at the end of the semester. There will be 75 points at semester with up to 25 extra credit points for extra hours. There will be no rollover between semesters.
- Seniors: Independent project as well as 3 hours for parish and 3 hours for school each semester. Points at the semester will be adjusted as the independent project is due at the end of the year. Separate points are given for journals and presentation. Extra credit may be a possibility.
- You must complete the required hours of parish, school, and community service per semester; in other words, you can’t just turn in one slip with a massive amount of hours and have it all count towards your needed semester total.
- You are to also log your hours before turning in the slips to Mrs. Feller.
- The following maximum number of summer hours will be counted towards hours needed for the first semester: 3 hours for grades 6-8; 4 hours for grades 9-10; and 5 hours for grades 11-12 . Any additional summer hours should be turned into Mrs. Feller for the purposes of logging what service was done but will not count towards the needed semester total. They may be used for extra credit.
- Take a service hours slip found in Mrs Feller’s room and fill it out and turn it in upon completion of your service—don’t wait until the end of the quarter/semester to fill it out.
- Fill out the slip COMPLETELY. Slips with sections that are not filled out will not be accepted.
- After you have filled out the slip, an adult supervisor must sign it. The adult supervisor should be the person who supervised you during the service you performed. In the event no adult supervisor was present at the time, a parent/guardian may sign the form. Teachers should only sign your form if they were the one supervising the service.
- Return the filled-out, signed slip to basket in Mrs. Feller’s room. Double check and make sure that your name is on the slip!!!!
- Feel free to check with Mrs. Feller at any time regarding how many hours you have completed.
WHAT MAY BE COUNTED AS SERVICE HOURS:
- Service work done at the school (helping teachers (non SES work), working concession stands for sporting events, volunteering to help at a school sporting event, etc.)
- Service work done at the parish (Mass ministries (counts 1 hour), helping at parish functions, etc.)
- Work done in the community (helping out a community events, supervised highway clean up, breakfasts, etc.) All high school receives hours for Make a Difference Day. Those participating in blood drives, Relay for Life, and other school sponsored activities may also receive hours. The moderators will let Mrs Feller know.
- Other (check with Mrs. Feller if you have something and you aren’t sure if it fits into any of the above categories)
WHAT MAY NOT BE COUNTED AS SERVICE HOURS:
- Paid jobs (working at Bender’s, etc.)
- Work done around the house (you CANNOT turn in a slip signed by your parents that reads “helped out around the house, mowed lawn”, etc.)
- Work for grandparents, aunts, uncles, brothers, and sisters (may be some exceptions, but must be cleared with Mrs. Feller.)
- Working for a for-profit business is not community service and will not be counted
- Work for which you received any pay (example–mowing a neighbor’s lawn and getting paid for it)
- Hours completed as an SES student
- More than 2 hours of babysitting, unless it is with a school or community function. (Household parties or ballgames are not acceptable) Check with Mrs. Feller first.
- If you are unsure if something will count, see Mrs. Feller